Michael Glab MS, RD, LDN
Sweet Potato, Poblano & Soyrizo Hash
Updated: Jun 26, 2018
I’m biased, but this is my favorite recipe. Partially because I actually came up with it! This recipe is worth the little bit of extra time to prep and cook as it is the best possible hash you can make! You can pre-cook the soyrizo in advance and/or pre-chop the sweet potato, onion and poblano the night before too if time is an issue. It will hold in the fridge overnight. I’ve also been using Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce after plating the hash instead of chipotle powder and it’s been quite the revelation! The soyrizo is high in sodium per serving, but this is balanced out by the high potassium of the sweet potato. Perfect recovery meal as it well balanced and delicious.
½ cup diced red onion
½ cup diced poblano pepper
1¼ diced sweet potato
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced (or use garlic press)
½ cup soy chorizo
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chipotle pepper
The soy chorizo can be cooked in advance and will generally hold for one week in the refrigerator. You can also cook it while the vegetables cook.
1. Heat separate pan on medium (optional: lightly coat with cooking spray if desired).
2. Add soy chorizo and cook as directed. Usually takes about 8-10 minutes and toss every 2 minutes until slightly brown/crisp.
If you have already cooked the soy chorizo in advance:
1. Dice poblano pepper, red onion, sweet potato and garlic (can use garlic press).
2. Heat large frying pan or wok on medium heat and add ½ tablespoon olive oil.
3. Add red onion & poblano. Toss several times for 2 mins until onions are translucent .
4. Add sweet potato and mix frequently until sweet potato softens (between 7-10 mins).
5. Add cumin and chipotle pepper to diced vegetables. Stir/toss for 1 min.
6. Add soy chorizo. Mix for 1-2 mins.
7. Add garlic. Stir/toss for 1 min.Turn off heat and plate.
In separate pan
1. Heat pan on medium and use cooking spray or olive oil to slightly coat pan.
2. Crack two eggs and fry to your liking (I like runny yolks).
3. Top eggs on plated skillet and enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Calories - 495
Fat (g) - 27
Carbs (g) - 41
Fiber (g) - 7
Protein (g) - 26
Potassium (mg) - 685
Sodium (mg) - 900